Thursday, June 10, 2010

Backwards soduM idnarepO

I suppose I have missed most of a classic blogging opportunity.

Later this month, our church is intentionally closing its doors. The action is not a sudden spur-of-the-moment thing, but the result of much prayer, study and discussion. It has been discussed openly and directly for about 2 years now, and would have made great blog fodder. Such a blog might not have the wide appeal as, say, cooking your way through Julia Child's cookbook, but it still would have been a unique chronicle of an unusual event. Now that we are a few weeks away from our last official worship service, it seems a little late to start. I guess I won't get rich from writing a book about it.

I spent the evening with some good friends planning the last three worship services. As usual the discussion ranged widely, coming back to the task at hand often enough to get the planning done. The problem we faced was very much about how to plan these with the proper focus ( on Jesus, not on our church) and with the proper tone (not telling people what to feel, but going about the business of worshiping God and letting the chips fall where they may).

Although we believe, for a variety of reasons, that this is the right thing to do, it still strikes a false note. It seems things should work out differently, that the Holy Spirit should be pulling some kind of spiritual rabbit out of the ecclesiastical hat right now. It's such an odd thing. Who ever hears about churches closing? It all seems so backwards.

But then...I guess a lot of things God does seem pretty backwards when you think about it. Seems like its just part of the old Modus Operandi. Who am I to argue.

2 comments:

Lisa N P said...

I'm sorry to hear that your church is closing, but encouraged that your congregation is (it sounds like) doing a hard thing thoughtfully and well. We attend a teeny-tiny church that has almost closed before, and if God doesn't add to our number...I pray that God will give us wisdom about what to do. It seems kind of like breaking up with someone--you may have seen it coming for a long time, but when it comes down to it, it's tempting to give it one more shot. Blessings to you and your church family.

solarblogger said...

I'm just glad the rabbits have other ecclesiastical hats to jump into. Or to use another analogy, if a lifeboat sinks at a point where you're close enough to swim to another, it's done its job admirably. And the rescue operation is still a success.

I'm sorry to see someone go through this. I'd probably feel worse for you if I hadn't been through something similar, and ended up so happy in the new congregation that I rarely think of the old one. Hang in there.