Sunday, March 30, 2008

Go Where I send Thee

I shall soon (this week? Next week?) be posting a blogroll along the sidebar. I do have a not too very long list of blogs that I check out when time is available. I'd like to share them around with the few of you who actually read this piece of doody.

But...not waiting for the indefinite hereafter, let me direct you to two.

First, my blogmentor Assistant Village Idiot. This is the guy who, when I found out that he had a blog, I said to myself, "Well I guess if that moron can do it, so can I. It really can't be that hard." AVI consistently puts up posts that are insightful on a variety of topics political, sociological, theological, personal, economical, linguistic and all sorts of other adjectives. It is rare time when I don't finish one of his postings and go "Huh...never thought of it that way." Good stuff and I highly recommend it.

Second, I am just beginning to explore Boars Head Tavern. This blog actually has a long list of contributors, and so acts rather like a forum, but arranged by date, rather than by thread. I have found that it does take a little work to tease out the thread of a discussion, as they are intermingled with all manner of comments and responses on many topics, as well as being arranged in reverse order to the posting so you have to work backwards through the argument. Still, there are enough thoughtful and interesting comments that it is well worth at least an occassional glance.

What caught my eye in particular were these quotes from the sidebar:

"Jesus came to raise the dead. He did not come to teach the teachable; He did not come to improve the improvable; He did not come to reform the reformable. None of those things works." --Robert Farrar Capon

“It is better to think of church in the ale-house than to think of the ale-house in church.” - Martin Luther

Yeah, see these are the kind of guys I like to hang around with. Nothing like beer and good conversation. 'Tis indeed a good gift of a generous God.

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

As the Blogfather, I shall feel free to comment, young Padawan.

I once heard a similar sentiment to the Capan quote. "Jesus didn't come to make bad people good. He came to make dead people alive."

As to the Luther quote, there is a Simpsons episode in which everyone suddenly believes the world is ending by alien invasion. All the people in the church run over to the bar next door. The people in the bar run to the church.