Saturday, April 4, 2009

Chicken Rosemary Potato Bean Soup

My cousin Nancy is a songwriter and musician. She has a lovely and gentle heart, and it comes out in her music. Whenever I hear her sing, I can't help but seeing this sweet hippie chick that you just can't help but like. Not spacey, not saccharine, but just someone who enjoys simple, beautiful things. 

I also admire how she has been taking steps over the past several years to get her music out there. She has recorded a few very nice CD's, and has been doing concerts at various venues around Boise Idaho, her hometown, as well as reaching out through a website, blog, CDBaby and even facebook and myspace. I can't speak for her, but it seems to me that it's not about getting rich as a musician (although I don't guess that she would turn down money if offered), but she is diligently seeking ways to share her music with the world. It's step by step, a learning process,and I'm pretty sure she has seen her share of setbacks and disappointments. But the process is progress. I appreciate the strength and perserverence it takes to lay your life's work out for everyone to form an opinion. That is no small thing.

She recently put up a song on YouTube called Chicken Rosemary Potato Bean Soup. It creates such a warm and delightful domestic picture of a warm dinner on a cold night. It strikes me as kind of a winter song, but even though it's turning rapidly to spring, nights are still chilly enough here in New England that it still fits. I can imagine hearing this song played on a Sunday night public radio folk show. It has a nice feel to it.

You can find her website HERE.

Thanks Nancy. I'm posting your song with the lyrics. 




5:45 with evening descending –
The night before us pending
Glad for the wood pile Stan stacked by the house
Stoke the fire before it goes out

Potato Bean Soup simmers to hot
Throw in some chicken (since that’s what we’ve got)
Light the candle I just bought
Throw the spices now into the pot

CHORUS:  CHICKEN ROSEMARY POTATO BEAN SOUP ON THE STOVE
LET’S ADD THE LENTILS THAT BENJAMIN JUST BROUGHT HOME (from the road)
WHAT WOULD BE PERFECT IS SOME PAN BIGIO (warmed on a stone)
HALF AN HOUR AND WE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO

Call up Ashley and tell her the soup’s on
Why don’t you bring Billy; stay as long as you want
Or if you can’t stay take some home for tomorrow
I’ll tuck in the recipe so you can follow

Repeat Chorus

© NancyKellyMusic 2009
Penned September 29, 2008   

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Wow thanks cousin D! So many nice things said and you understand my intent which means so much to me!

Cool blog, by the way! I'll be back!

Your cousin, Nanc