Thursday, April 16, 2009

Right Freely

Fascinating quote from Martin Luther that was recently posted on internetmonk:

“Whenever the devil harasses you, seek the company of men or drink more, or joke and talk nonsense, or do some other merry thing. Sometimes we must drink more, sport, recreate ourselves, and even sin a little to spite the devil, so that we leave him no place for troubling our consciences with trifles. We are conquered if we try too conscientiously not to sin at all. So when the devil says to you: do not drink, answer him: I will drink, and right freely, just because you tell me not to.” 
Now I'm pretty sure that will twist the knickers of more than a few folks, and tickle a few others. Whichever camp you fall in, just meditate on that for a minute. There is much worth considering.

Worth reading Michael Spencer's explication and the comments of his readers. I especially like the story of the orthodox priest and the catechumen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I have said it many times before, but I can do it again... I love Luther!

Ron