Monday, February 8, 2010

Meeting Mr. Wright

I have been provided with a deep pile of books by N.T. Wright. I am starting to work my way down the pile.

I picked "Justification" as my starting point -- whew! Nothing like walking in on the middle of someone else's conversation and trying to pick up the threads on the fly, especially when the conversation is pretty technical and rests on years of previous experiences shared by the other parties, but not by you.

I have heard so much about Wright's writing for some time. I have friends who think that he opens the door on dusty musty religion and let's in a whole lot of good clean fresh air. I know of others who think he doodles around on the edges of the heretical. From what I've read so far, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, but I always have a tendency to agree with the book I'm reading now. Especially in a book that is very technical in an area where my knowledge is limited -- compared to the author -- I have a hard time being critical.

There are exceptions to this rule, usually in books be people that I don't think have a lot going on over and ahead of where I am.

At any rate, I'm glad that I'm finally going to get to meet Mr. Wright on the page. I'll report in on my impressions as I journey through his land.

1 comment:

Ron Jung said...

I think Wright is great. Jesus and Victory of God is one of my all time favorite books.

PS. I have a blog now and linked yours to mine.