Sunday, September 2, 2007

Thoughts on my Business

I have been away most of the last long weekend at a professional conference for my business. I work as a professional speaker and trainer in the the field of personal development. The conference is conducted semi-yearly by the company with which I am affiliated for the purpose of helping salespeople, speakers and instructors to grow our businesses.

Yeah, ok whatever...I can hear your attention wandering. So, a few tidbits gleaned from this weekend. Some of these may require more development, but take them as they are here and do what you will with them.

Verbal Economics - using more words does not increase the value of a speech. Instead it reduces the value of each word you use to such an extent that the entire speech can become worth less than the time spent listening to it.

There is a great deal of power in asking the right questions.

Meditation is the process of merely observing and interrogating your thoughts.

When seeking excellence, comfort is not the objective.

Take out the trash.

Ultimately, what I am experiencing right now is the sum of my thoughts and choices up to this point. I am here because I have brought myself here. I am responsible for what I am, where I am, and how I am experiencing it.

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Verbal economics. There was a pastor I read about who preached a one-word sermon once a year. The first two were easy, he said. After that it became his hardest sermon of the year to write.